Y’all. I’m so pumped! I know I’ve mentioned a few times that we were going to be tackling our kitchen and then I left you hanging. I’m so sorry! We have been dragging our booties with this project, which is technically a ton of smaller projects wrapped into one giant project.
I’m actually glad it’s been taking forever because I have changed my mind about fifty million times on what I want to do. But now I feel like I really have a crystal clear vision for what I want the space to become and I am over the moon excited about bringing that vision to life!
What better way to get my booty in gear than to sign on to the fall 2015 One Room Challenge! The goal is to make over a room in six weeks, checking in each week with progress updates. I feel like a crazy person for wanting to make over a room, let alone the KITCHEN in just six weeks, but I am diving in head first and I am going to make it happen. I’ve already got the hubby on board, so IT’S ON!
Let’s check out what we’re dealing with first. All of these photos are from the MLS listing before we moved in (so don’t judge!). I’ve actually started working on the room (shh! don’t tell) and I don’t want to spoil the surprise just yet.
Tada! What do you think? We’ve already painted the walls a warm greige color. Other than that (and the lack of very rustic country decor) it looks pretty much the same. The living room has been updated and is no longer harvest gold.
Are you digging the orange cabinets?
How about the lovely laminate counter/backsplash combo?
Now, let’s get down to business. My plans for the kitchen are as follows:
- Take down the microwave, replace with a range vent and build a rustic wooden vent hood
- Extend the cabinets to the ceiling
- Extend the island to accommodate a new microwave
- Trim out the island with board and batten or planks/shiplap
- Replace island countertop with butcher block
- Paint the cabinets white and add new hardware
- Add a backsplash (I’ve been flip flopping on ideas for this but I think I’ve finally narrowed it down to a winner)
- Install new countertops
- Install farmhouse sink and new faucet
- Add new lighting over the island and sink (that big round light over the sink is a sky tube, so it will be staying)
- Paint the pantry doors black
- Add task lighting under the upper cabinets
- Replace the recessed lighting trim
- Replace the range with a new stainless steel model to match our other appliances (if I can twist my hubby’s arm)
Ok, I think that about does it. I may add a few things here and there, if time permits. Of course I will be styling it with fun (and practical) items, but these are my main points of focus.
I am praying that we get it all completed because, honestly, after writing that all out, I am freaking out a little. I don’t have much of a choice though, because Thanksgiving is inching closer and closer, and a non-functioning kitchen during the holidays just ain’t gonna happen. Eeek!
Alrighty. I better get going because, as you can see, I have a ton of work to do and not a moment to spare! I’ll check in next week to update you on our kitchen makeover progress.