It’s week 2 of the One Room Challenge and I am excited to share my kitchen makeover progress with you! If you’re just tuning in, we’re making over one room in our home in only SIX WEEKS, all while sharing our progress each week. The room I have chosen to makeover is the kitchen. Dun, dun, dun!
I know, I’m being a little dramatic. But a kitchen is quite a task to makeover in itself, let alone within a six week timeline. I’m up for the challenge, though, and I’d love to have you all along for the ride!
So last week we left off with the lovely before photos and I shared my list of plans. My husband and I got straight to work and I’m pretty pleased with what we were able to accomplish.
First, we took the wall mounted microwave down and ripped down the backsplash portion of the backsplash/countertop combo. I was dying to see what was under the laminate. Gross huh? All of that splotchy orange stuff is contact cement. We will most definitely be covering all of that up with gorgeous tile.
Then the real work began as we started to build the upper cabinet cubbies with plywood.
After those were finished, we moved onto building the island extension that will house the new microwave.
I decided to go with board and batten for the island and that project is being completed as we speak. I have tutorials planned for each project that I will share after the reveal, so be sure to stick around for those.
We are finalizing our countertop plans this weekend as well as picking up the new sink! I’ve got a ton of other items arriving in the mail each day. Every time the FedEx or UPS guy stops in front of the house, I get all giddy.
So that’s where we are right now. I can’t wait to get more work done and share it with you next week. Be sure to pop in on Thursday for another update.
Here’s another look at the plans for this space and what we’ve finished so far:
Take down the microwave,replace with a range vent and build a rustic wooden vent hood Extend the cabinets to the ceiling Extend the island to accommodate a new microwave Trim out the island with board and batten or planks/shiplap
- Replace island countertop with butcher block
- Paint the cabinets white and add new hardware
- Add a backsplash (I’ve been flip flopping on ideas for this but I think I’ve finally narrowed it down to a winner)
- Install new countertops
- Install farmhouse sink and new faucet
- Add new lighting over the island and sink (that big round light over the sink is a sky tube, so it will be staying)
- Paint the pantry doors black
- Add task lighting under the upper cabinets
- Replace the recessed lighting trim
- Replace the range with a new stainless steel model to match our other appliances (if I can twist my hubby’s arm)